Monday, October 10, 2011

Travel Fellowships

1. So right off the bat, what concerns me is the requirements as far as art goes.  The fact that they're asking for images specifically suggests that they definitely aren't looking for film or animation media... or even its biproducts.  Which makes me a little skeptical about how the digital department qualifies for this fellowship.  Indeed, something to be taken up with Ken Strickland...

2. Brainstorming - Old school special effects from BBC (Weather Effects Studios) - see > alleffects.com, Gobelins animation studio/school, European pyrotechnics, Schufftan process in Germany, cinematic gas-based blasting without explosives (Germany) - Filmowe Efekty Specjalne

Possible Countries:
Austria
Czech Republic
Germany
Holland
Ireland
UK
Norway
France

3. I think, since I would like to eventually work in some form of special effects, the opportunities in Germany would be the most helpful.  Explosions that are projected upwards, rather than outwards and are flameless is a concept not often used in modern Hollywood cinema, except in period-based war movies.  Gobelins would be a great way to see how storylines are made correctly and successfully in a condensed format, while keeping quality as the highest priority.  I'm most interested in the Schufftan process (one of the first forms of Matte Painting and manual special effects.)  In the end, it would give me a jumping off point to see where effects originated so that I can be inspired when I get to use modern effects.

As far as qualifications go... I've taken film and animation courses.  I have a strong desire to learn and a will to see stuff through.  As far as experiences I've had, there's a lot of stuff I still have left to do.  End of story.  But yeah... not sure what else I can say...

No comments:

Post a Comment